Make your own free website on

Morristown Lodge No. 193 F.&A.M.

History of the Morristown Lodge #193

Officer's of the Lodge 2007
Pictures of Lodge Events
A Few Words From Our Master
Morristown Lodge Committes
Past Worshipful Master's
History of the Morristown Lodge #193
Upcoming Lodge Events for September 2007
Morristown,IN. Weather
Indiana Masonic Home
Legend of the Blue Slipper
My 1968 Mustang
Knight's Templar
The Builder
Famous Freemasons
Degrees of Freemasonry
Principles of Freemasonry
Structure of Freemasonry
Early Legends of the Craft
Facts Of Freemasonry
History of Freemasonry
Our Purpose
Becoming a Member
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and his Masonic Music
Contact Us


In 1855, as a result of a petition by a number of Masons, the Grand Lodge of Indiana granted a dispensation for the organization of a new Lodge in Morristown, Indiana. The first stated meeting was May 30, 1855, petitions of Alexander M. Hargrove, Henry G. Wolf, Sr., and W.W. Woodyard were received and the first work conferred by the new Lodge was upon these three on June 23, 1855.
The permanent charter was issued under date of May 27, 1856 to Morristown Lodge No. 193 Free and Accepted Masons, and the first officers designated by the charter were Abraham Reeves(Worshipful Master) W.W. Woodyard(Senior Warden) and Agustus C. Handy(Junior Warden).
In 1853, a group of educationally minded citizens, organized a non-profit stock company called Morristown Academy Association. The governing body was a board of Trustees composed of Dr. David S. McGaughey, Alexander M. Hargrove and Henry G. Wolf, Sr., all of whom became prominent Masons.
Since the new Lodge was planning a home they contracted with the Academy Association to build a third story to their proposed two-story frame structure, which was to be erected just north of the present water tower, the third stroy to be used for Lodge purposes. W.W. Woodyard promoted the joint plan and was the architect who designed the building.
When Completed, the Lodge entered its new quarters, it grew and prospered from ardent labors. However, portentous clouds were gathering, forewarning of the bitter days to come with the Civil War, which set brother against brother in the worst holocaust the nation had known. A minute from this era states: "The Lodge continued to operate with varied success, until the War of the Rebellion, when it suffered somewhat, but fully recovered after the close of the war."
A few items of expense of the early Lodge were: "Lamps & Spittoons $3.10; grave digging $2.00; water-bucket and dipper 80c; 2 shaves for a sick brother 50c; Emergency--shovel snow off roof $2.00; carrying wood up to hall(3 stories) 50c; repair hitch-rack $7.00.
On the afternoon of July 4, 1885, the Lodge had the misfortune of losing it's home, charter and all records by fire. This fire concluded what was probably the most disastrous day in the history of Morristown, as on the night before the entire block of the business district was also wiped out by fire. The fire which destriyed the "Seminary" and Lodge hall, apparently started on the second floor where some "feather merchants" operated. Due to the loss of early records, a faithful Secretary, W.W. Woodyard, carefully copied all proceedings as furnished by the Grand Lodge in one volume, which gives a general resume of the accomplishments of the Lodge from 1855 to 1885 which now is carefully preserved with all other minutes and records.
After the disaster, the members labored with renewed energy, increased the membership to 60, and secured the second floor of a brick building at the corner of Main and Midway Sreets(now Blue Bird Restaurant). Records show the new home was leased on November 21, 1855. from the Masonic Hall Association, a non-profit association, which arranged to hold title, and this time ample insurance procured. Shortly after entering their new home, the members were quite distressed to learn that a "drinking saloon" would occupy the first floor, and many pages of minutes were recorded before this problem was resolved. "Old John Barleycorn" seemed to have caused considerable trouble, as two members were charged with having interest in a "slot machine device," which dispensed liquor by the drink.
On December 27, 1887, a public installation was held in the Methodist Protestant Church on Main Street with Past Grand Master Martin H. Rice officiating. This gala event was concluded with a huge banquet in Wrenick's Hall, said to be the most "sumptuous" of the times.
In the early 1890's natural gas was discovered in this area and the Lodge promptly contracted for the lighting and heating of their quarters with the "New Light." Here the Lodge grew and prospered some thirty years until new and larger quarters were necessary.
On or about July 7, 1921 (according to insurance records), the second floor of the Bodine Block, corner of Main and Washington Streets, was Purchased from C.M. Rock for $3,000.00 and the room remodeled into the present stately quarters. Again the financing was arranged through a second Masonic Hall Association.

Enter supporting content here

Webmaster Christopher Voorhis MM